April 16, 2018 11:30
The insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) welcomes the update of the general Programme of financial assistance to disaster victims actual or imminent of the ministry of public Security, but concedes that the government could do more in terms of prevention.
The new program expands the maximum amounts that can be awarded to victims according to the measurements of the specific programme put in place last year following floods in the spring of 2017. The ministry says have also simplified some steps, in particular to the category of goods/furniture.
The affected insured persons are also eligible
As was the case for the flood victims of 2017, the insured persons who have an endorsement protecting against the flooding of their home insurance policy will also be compensated for the damage excess not covered by their private insurer.
“The insurers have begun to offer an amendment against sewer backups and the flood waters in march 2017, a month before the events. The victims concerned have, therefore, been able to benefit from the two programs, ” says Pierre Babinsky, director of communications and public affairs of the TRAY, in interview to the Newspaper of insurance.
In addition, Mr. Babinsky has revealed that the LAC continues to hold regular meetings with the government to ensure coordination between the programme of financial assistance to public and private insurers. The last meeting took place on Friday 13 April last, and these will continue.
30 % of the policyholders have the endorsement
Mr. Babinsky has estimated that today approximately 30 % of the insured in the dwelling is protected against floods. At the time of the events in the last year, 600 5 500 victims had a protection against the floods. “Since then, more insurers have added the protection to their offering and have adjusted to the limits of their coverage “, he adds.
As reported by FlashFinance.ca, a publication sister-in-law of the of the insurance Journal, the financial assistance program specific to the floods of 2017 bonifiait the amount of temporary preventive measures of 3 000 $ to 5 000 $, expanded the list of personal property essential, included more essential parts, and granted an allowance for the demolition and disposal of the debris from 25 000 $ to 50 000 $, among others.
The TRAY, however, believes that prevention initiatives must always be taken by the government in order to mitigate the risk and make communities more resilient in the face of the increasing frequency of extreme weather events.
“It is good that the government has revised certain ways of doing things, but we are staunch defenders of the implementation of preventive measures. To this end, we welcomed the investment of the City of Montreal for the reconstruction of some infrastructure, which is aging. This is just one of the examples, alongside with other measures, will minimize the risks “, underlined in his turn, Anne Morin, head of public affairs at IBC.
“This is what it continues to mention to the ministry during the meetings of the government,” confirms Mr. Babinsky.
The Simplification and lightening
In addition, the ministry of public Security said to have simplified and streamlined standards and management process by eliminating administrative steps. Thus, the victims will now be able to certify the repairs carried out on site, rather than only with verification of bills and get money without verification of obtaining a municipal permit, except in the case of immunization, or stabilization, when the estimate of damages eligible for reimbursement is received.
In addition, the host may receive an advance equivalent to 85 % of assistance, as opposed to 50 % previously. No verification of mortgages shall be made and contrevérifications will be made at the end of the process.
The government says have also improved the content of the website of the ministry of public Security in order to better explain the steps to take according to their situation. “The letters and documents of reference, such as the report of the assessment of damages (now called a damage estimate-refundable) will be simplified and more clear, that not only the affected people to be better informed of risks of loss, but also actions to take, and what to do “, said the new program.
Pilot project with municipalities
The program also provides for the establishment of a pilot project to allow municipalities to the management of the financial assistance program. The municipalities of Laval, Gatineau, deux-Montagnes, Saint-André-d’argenteuil and the Vaudreuil-Soulanges RCM will evaluate over the next few months the benefits of a new approach giving them a lead role in the management of the program.